Pages

The Usher 2009

I wanted to blog about taking an opportunity to create artwork form nothing at all. Last night I was working on some artwork and came across a topic that has been making its way through a Halloween Horror Nights fan forum. And decided that it would be the right time to create something new from the topic that was being discussed.

It is important to stay in tune with your surrounding as an artist, because as an artist you are constantly being influenced. And so if your being influenced then the best course of action is to benefit from it.

As this topic was being thrown around I was reading the threads and ideas would pop into my mind as to how that character would look like. The Character in question is dubbed THE USHER. So several people had in mind a movie theater Usher that would guide people in to a hellish nightmare of horror. I in turn was going with the Usher of Death, which to me held more weight as far as character design goes.

Then I started to envision the theater, the lighting of the environment, and the over all feel of an old movie house with a slightly deranged Usher leading people to their death. And it hit me all at once that perhaps what these people saw in their minds was exactly what I saw.

So I started to create some quick sketches of the Usher, and came up with a neat idea of the lighting, to be from above to give the character its signature sinister look.

So in hind site it turned out really good because I used a method for the lighting that I normally don't use. And so the lesson for today is, no matter what is going on around you. Make sure to keep creating artwork, a lot of the time its things like these that make for really great work.