Pages

SPOOKEY EMPIRE'S ULTIMATE HORROR WEEKEND 2009

Well well horror fans across the zombie infested landscape, I just got back from the event and let me tell you. It was a magnificent gathering of interesting and eccentric people!

I arrived at 10:30 am and the event was already bursting at the seems with horror fans. Which in my opinion was a great sight for sore eyes. I am happy to see that horror is alive and doing well. I had the distinct pleasure to meet the nicest people in the industry.

I walked around a bit and got the chance to see lots and lots of horror merch. Great to see that sort of stuff. After some shopping I moved over to the Q&A session for Jason Mewes and Derek Mears. It was fun, exciting, and extremely funny. Between graphic and sexual shenanigans with catty responses the duo seemed to be having fun with the event. One of the best Q&A's that I have ever attended. Most sessions seem planned and scripted, with boring dialog. But these two were real down to earth. The kevin Smith fans were out and so Jason received a ton of questions regarding the comedy Jedi.

After this I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Leonard Pickel Event Coordinator for Hauntcon. I highly recommend checking out www.hauntcon.com and that event in April and May.

Shortly got a chance to meet Tom Savini, a down to earth person really friendly and approachable. Also met Sara Karloff a really witty sweetheart! Ricou Browning was a special treat as for C.F.T.B.L. is one of my favorite classics. George Romero was a no show, and so that was a bummer for Zombites everywhere. Linda Blair was present, Tipi Hedren looking good as always. Terrance Zdunich was present and stealing hearts more and bodies. Many many more...

But the highlight for me was the Q&A session with my personal word smith hero, Max Brooks!!! Author of Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z, and his latest work Recorded Attacks. Max is just as entertaining to listen to as his father. I can listen to him talk all day long. With witty jokes, and interesting stories. He gave us a natural speech about the creative process of the books. He explained how he didn't think much of the book when he wrote it and it turns out that the Guide is being translated into 18 different languages and sold over 1 million copies! He gave us all inspiration and tips to trade. Funniest question asked was delivered from a zombite with tattered clothes, he began to ask Max how can the world benefit from an outbreak! Max's response was brilliant, What your not happy with all the current problems humanity is facing?

The session went on for an hour as Max stood on two chairs in a cramp room, that to me was ridiculous considering the magnitude of fans that were there.

And so to conclude my blog, I went to Max Brooks' booth and chatted with him for a good bit. Truly amazing time and event.

My only concern with the event is that perhaps it is too big to be hosted in a hotel. I don't know the logistics of the event and I don't hold it against them. So if you attend the remaining days be warned that it is a bit hard to negotiate the hallways and restroom areas.